Internships and Experiences
JAVĿ¼ provides many resources to help you take advantage of pre-career learning experiences like internships, job shadowing, mentored research, fieldwork, and more.
According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers' Job Outlook, employers are twice as likely to hire a new graduate who has completed some form of pre-career experience over other applicants who have not.
- Employer Site Visits: Each month, visit a local employer to learn about their industry, internship and entry-level opportunities, and network with professionals. Past and upcoming sites include West Herr, Center for Youth Services, Paychex, Dixion Schwabl + Co., and Excellus BCBS.
- JAVĿ¼ Flight Plan: A three-day career immersion experience hosted by alumni in a selected US city. Applications open in early Spring.
- : Use Forage to locate virtual internships and other work-based learning options with multinational companies. There are options for nearly every major and pre-professional program.
- Informational Interviews: Have a conversation in person or remotely with an alumnus or employer contact to learn about their career path and current position. Career Services can help you get connected. Set up an appointment using .
- Shadowing Experiences: Spend a day, or even an hour, observing a professional in their work setting to learn about what they do and where they work. Career Services can help you get connected. Set up an appointment using .
- Semester-long Internships: Paid or unpaid, for-credit or not-for-credit, during the Fall, Spring, or Summer term.
- Summer Research Fellows program for faculty-mentored research experiences.
- : Build professional experiences with remote externships - industry-relevant projects that scale between companies and students.
- : These short-term, paid, professional assignments are available throughout the year and allow you to demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build your network as you seek the right full-time role.
Finding an Internship or Experience
- We recommend Handshake as the starting spot for seeing current postings and accessing helpful resources.
- Contact CCAP to learn about the process for receiving credit.
Funding an Internship or Experience
JAVĿ¼ is pleased to offer the grant program to support students who are pursuing experiential opportunities related to their career interests. Please consult with Student Financial Services to determine if receiving a Career Accelerator Award grant impacts your financial aid eligibility. Incomplete or late applications or those which are submitted improperly will not be considered.
Opportunities by School
The School of Arts and Sciences has opportunities for internships or applied work experiences in several programs. Use the links below to explore each program.