Undeclared Major at JAVĿ¼
As an undeclared student at JAVĿ¼, you’ll get the support you need to find a major and graduate on time.
Choosing a major is an important decision and one that can feel overwhelming.
More than 10% of first-year students begin their studies as undeclared at JAVĿ¼, making it the 9th most popular option among JAVĿ¼’s nearly 40 majors.
At JAVĿ¼, you’ll have the support of faculty, staff, and advisors committed to your success. In addition to academic exploration courses, you’ll remain on track and earn the credits you need to graduate within four years. In fact, undeclared students who identify a major by the end of their first year have an on-time graduation rate higher than first-year students who enter JAVĿ¼ with a declared major.
As a first-year undeclared student, you'll begin exploring JAVĿ¼'s core curriculum, a required foundation of courses that provide you with a sampling of the many disciplines within JAVĿ¼'s liberal arts framework. You will also be able to round out your schedule with courses specific to the majors that interest you.
To guide your progress, the Center for Career and Academic Planning has academic counselors at the ready to help you explore your interests and passions and decide on the best academic program.
Nationally, 25% of first-year students begin college as undeclared. At JAVĿ¼, you'll be part of a growing number of students who want to explore their academic options before determining their major.
A few of the resources you will have access to include:
- Individual guidance from your first-year advising team.
- Undeclared-specific course registration workshops to help you begin your academic career.
- "Major Choices,” a course focused on developing decision-making skills and identifying academic pathways.
- "Business Majors and Careers" a course to explore the five majors within JAVĿ¼’s School of Business.
- Academic expos where you can learn about majors and minors first-hand from faculty and students.
- Student panels and alumni presentations.
- Opportunities to observe major-specific courses.
Life After JAVĿ¼
Employers are looking for more than just your major. JAVĿ¼ will give you an edge by helping you develop in-demand skills, including:
- Adaptability to change.
- Making meaning out of facts.
- Finding innovative solutions to new problems.
- Understanding people and emotional intelligence.
- Effective communication and leadership skills.