Skip to content

Student Consumer Information

The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, includes reporting and disclosure requirements for schools participating in Title IV programs.

The information listed below provides consumer information readily accessible to students and parents to make informed decisions about post-secondary education. The U.S. Department of Education requires schools to provide information on a number of subjects, including financial aid, completion and graduation dates, campus safety, loan counseling, and drug and alcohol abuse prevention.

You are entitled to a paper copy of any of the following information. Please contact the Office of Student Financial Services at (585) 385-8042 to obtain a paper copy.

Financial Aid Information

Notice of Availability of Institutional and Financial Aid Information

JAVĿ¼ Office of Student Financial Services
2nd Floor Kearney Hall
3690 East Ave, Rochester, NY 14618

Phone: (585) 385-8042
Fax: (585) 385-8044
Email: sfs@sjf.edu

Financial Aid website

M-F 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (office closes at noon on Fridays during the summer)

  • Description of all the Federal, State, local, private, and institutional student financial assistance programs available to students who enroll at the school, including need-based and non-need-based federal financial aid that is available to students
  • Terms and conditions under which students receive(d) Federal Direct loans and Perkins Loans
  • Procedures and forms by which students apply for assistance
  • Criteria for selecting recipients from the group of eligible applicants and criteria for determining the amount of a student’s award
  • Facilities and Services Available to Students with Disabilities
  • Student Body Diversity
  • Cost of Attendance
    • Tuition and fees charged to full-time and part-time students are listed on the Student Accounts website: Undergraduate Tuition & Fees, Graduate Tuition & Fees
    • Estimate of costs for necessary books, course materials, supplies, and equipment: $650 annual for full-time and part-time study
    • Housing and Meal Plan (Food) charges
    • Estimates of transportation costs for students: $600 annual for full-time and part-time study for students living off-campus; $500 annually for full-time study for students living on campus
  • Refund Policy, Requirements for Withdrawal and Return of Title IV, HEA Financial Aid
  • Academic Program (Educational Programs, Instructional Facilities, Faculty)
  • Transfer of Credit Policies and Articulation Agreements
  • Institutional and Program Accreditation, Approval, or Licensure
  • (including computer use and file sharing)
  • Vaccinations Policies
  • Retention & Completion/Graduation Rates
  • Types of employment secured by recent graduates or post-graduate outcomes
    • Contact the Center for Career and Academic Planning at (585) 385-8050 for more information
  • Types of Graduate and Professional Education in which the Institution's Graduates Enroll
    • Contact the Center for Career and Academic Planning at (585) 385-8050 for more information
  • Evidence of Student Learning
  • Intercollegiate Athletic Program Participation Rates and Financial Support Data
    • Report available by October 15 through the Athletic Department (contact J. Granger)
    • Or the report can be accessed from the

Notice of Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations

The University must provide to each student upon enrollment, a notice that advises the student that a conviction for any offense, during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Title IV, HEA program funds, under any federal or state law involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs will result in the loss of eligibility for any Title IV, HEA grant, loan, or work-study assistance (HEA Sec. 484(r)(1)); (20 U.S.C. 1091(r)(1)).

Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program

Voter Registration

Campus Safety and Security

Privacy of Student Records

  • St. John JAVĿ¼ University complies fully with the provisions of the . FERPA is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. Students have, with certain limited exceptions, certain rights with respect to their education records.
  • Request for nondisclosure will be honored by the institution and remain in effect until withdrawn by the student in writing. Students are advised to exercise caution in requesting nondisclosure of directory information since the inability to verify attendance and/or graduation may adversely affect future employment. Nondisclosure can be requested by completing the Request To Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information [pdf].
  • More information can be found on the regarding the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

HEERF Funds Reporting

Student Complaint Information

Complaints can be initiated for both academic and non-academic concerns. The first course of action for any concern or complaint is to address it with the instructor. If the issue is not satisfactorily resolved at that point, the student should then contact the head of the academic department or administrative unit in which the complaint originated. If the complaint is not resolved to the satisfaction of the complainant, it continues through the organization hierarchy until a satisfactory resolution has been reached.

Information on academic appeals, complaints, and concerns can be found in the University Catalog:

New York Resident Student Complaints: If all grievance procedures outlined in the catalog have been followed, all avenues of appeal exhausted, and documentation provided that such procedures have been exhausted, and the student resides in New York, then the student has the right to file a complaint with the NYS Office of College and University Evaluation. Details on the New York State Education Department’s complaint procedures can be found here: .

NC-SARA Member Out-of-State Student Complaints: Because JAVĿ¼ is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), we follow the policy for complaints outlined here: , if a student resides in a NC-SARA state other than New York. In this case, please contact NC-SARA’s New York State Portal Entity: . 

Please note: NC-SARA consumer protection complaints do NOT include complaints related to grades or student conduct violations, and the New York State Education Department does not intervene in matters concerning an individual’s grades or examination results, as these are the prerogative of the institution’s faculty. 

Non-SARA Member Out-Of-State Student Complaints: Students who have complaints that have not been resolved through contact with the University and do not reside in a SARA member state () may seek advisement from the appropriate office in the student's state of residence, listed below. 

NC-SARA consumer protection provisions require the home state, through its SARA State Portal Entity, to investigate and resolve allegations of dishonest or fraudulent activity, including the provision of false or misleading information. 

Examples of issues that may arise in regard to alleged fraudulent activity, violations of SARA policies or more general complaints about improper activities include, but are not limited to:

  • Veracity of recruitment and marketing materials;
  • Accuracy of job placement data;
  • Accuracy of information about tuition, fees, and financial aid;
  • Complete and accurate admission requirements for courses and programs;
  • Accuracy of information about the institution’s accreditation and/or any programmatic/specialized accreditation held by the institution’s programs;
  • Accuracy of information about whether coursework meets any relevant Professional Licensing requirements or the requirements of specialized Accrediting Agencies;
  • Accuracy of information about whether the institution’s course work will transfer to other institutions; and
  • Operation of distance education programs consistent with practices expected by institutional accreditors (and, if applicable, programmatic/specialized accreditors) and/or the C-RAC Guidelines for distance education.

Individuals can submit at any time a complaint regarding an institution’s compliance with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) Requirements of Affiliation, standards, or policies or regarding an institution’s compliance with its own policies or procedures. If an individual has attempted to resolve the issues through the institution’s own grievance procedures, and all avenues of appeals have been exhausted a complaint can be submitted to MSCHE using the official Complaints and Third Party Comment Form found here:

Please note: Matters outside of MSCHE’s purview include disputes between individuals and affiliated institutions about admission, grades, granting or transferability of credits, application of academic policies, fees or other financial matters, disciplinary matters, contractual rights and obligations, personnel decisions, or collective bargaining disputes.

Out-of-State Student Complaints

Note: This list includes contact information for all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and should not be construed as informative of what agencies regulate the institution or in what states the institution is authorized to operate. States, through the relevant agencies or Attorneys General Offices, will accept complaints regardless of whether an institution is authorized to operate in that state. Also, the University does not maintain the state and territory websites, and information may change without the University’s knowledge.


Attn: Division of Academic and Student Affairs
PO Box 302130
Montgomery, AL 36130-2130
Phone: 334-293-4500


PO Box 110505,
Juneau, Alaska 99811-0505
Phone: 907-465-6741


1740 W. Adams St., Suite 3008
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone: 602-542-5709


423 Main St., Suite 400
Little Rock, AR 72201-3818
Phone: 501-371-2000


Consumer Information Center
1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N-112
Sacramento, CA 95834
Phone: 833-942-1120


Commission on Higher Education
1600 Broadway, Suite 2200
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-862-3001


450 Columbus Blvd., Suite 707
Hartford, CT 06103-1841
Phone: 860-947-1800


The Townsend Building
401 Federal St., Suite 2
Dover, DE 19901-3639
Phone: 302-735-4000


Commission for Independent Education
325 W. Gaines St., Suite 1414
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400
Phone: 850-245-0505


2082 E. Exchange Pl., Suite 220
Tucker, GA 30084
Phone: 770-414-3300


Honolulu, HI 96810
Phone: 808-586-2727


State Authorization Program Manager
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0037
Phone: 208-332-1587


1 N. Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333
Springfield, IL 62701-1377
Phone: 217-782-2551


101 W. Ohio St., Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Phone: 317-464-4400


475 SW Fifth St., Suite D
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: 877-272-4456


1000 SW Jackson St., Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612-4240
Phone: 785-430-4240


100 Airport Rd.
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: 502-573-1555


1201 N. Third St., Suite 6-200
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
Phone: 225-342-4253

Louisiana Alternate Contact:

Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Section
P.O. Box 94005
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005
Phone: 225-326-6464 or 800-351-4889


23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023
Phone: 207-624-6600


6 N. Liberty St., 10th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: 410-767-3301

Maryland Alternate Contact:

200 St. Paul Place
Baltimore, MD 21202
Phone: 410-576-6300 or 888-743-0023


One Ashburton Place, Suite 1401
Boston, MA 02108-1696
Phone: 617-994-6950


PO Box 30008
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 517-373-9235


1450 Energy Park Dr., Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108
Phone: 651-259-3975 or 800-657-3866


3825 Ridgewood Rd.
Jackson, MS 39211
Phone: 601-432-6372


301 W. High St.
Jefferson City, MO 65101
Phone: 573-751-2361


560 N. Park Ave.
PO Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201
Phone: 406-449-9124


ATTN: Complaints
PO Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005
Phone: 402-471-2847


2800 E. St. Louis Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89104
Phone: 702-486-7330


101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301-3494
Phone: 603-271-3494


ATTN: Complaints
P.O. Box 542
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0542
Phone: 609-292-4310


2044 Galisteo St., Suite 4
Santa Fe, NM 87505-2100
Phone: 505-476-8400


Office of College and University Evaluation
89 Washington Avenue
EBA Room 960
Albany, New York 12234
Phone: 518-486-3633


910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Phone: 919-962-4558

North Carolina Alternate Contact:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001
Phone: 877-566-7226 or 919-716-6000 (En Español 919-716-0058)


Core Technology Services
2000 44th St. SW, Suite 301
Fargo, ND 58103


25 South Front Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Phone: 614-728-3095


655 Research Pkwy, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104-3603
Phone: 405-225-9100 or 405-225-9142


3225 25th Street SE
Salem, Oregon 97302
Phone: 503-947-2448


Office of Chief Counsel
333 Market Street, 9th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333
Phone: 717-783-6788


Consejo de Educacion Superior de Puerto Rico/
Puerto Rico Council on Higher Ed.
PO BOX 9023271
San Juan, PR 00902-3271
Phone: 787-722-2121


560 Jefferson Blvd.
Warwick, RI 02886-1304
Phone: 401-736-1100


1122 Lady Street Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201
Phone: 803-737-3918


306 East Capitol Ave Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: 605-773-3455


Parkway Towers, Suite 1900
404 James Robertson Pkwy
Nashville, TN 37243-0830
Phone: 615-741-5293 or 615-253-8857


Career Schools and Colleges-Rm 226-T
101 East 15th Street
Austin, TX 78778-0001
Phone: 512-936-3100

Texas Alternate Contact #1:

Office of General Counsel
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711-2788
Phone: 512-427-6101

Texas Alternate Contact #2:

Consumer Protection Division
P.O. Box 12548
Austin, TX 78711-2548


60 South 400 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84101-1284
Phone: 801-321-7200 or 1-800-418-8757


219 North Main St., Suite 402
Barre, VT 05641
Phone: 802-479-1030

Vermont Alternate Contact:

109 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05609-1001
Phone: 802-828-3171


James Monroe Building
101 N. 14th St., 10th Floor
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: 804-225-2600


917 Lakeridge Way SW
Olympia, WA 98502
Phone: 360-753-7625


Higher Education Licensure Commission
1050 First St. NE
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: 202-724-7860


1018 Kanawha Boulevard East, Suite 700
Charleston, WV 25301
Phone: 304-558-2101


Educational Approval Program
P.O. Box 8366
Madison, WI 53708-8366
Phone: 608-266-1996


122 W. 25th St., Suite E200
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Phone: 307-777-7675


Attn: Dr. Peter Tinitali
Executive Office Building
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799
Phone: 684-699-2441


287 W O’Brien Dr.
Hagatna, Guam 96910
Phone: 671-475-3324


State Higher Education Agency, Northern Marianas College
POB 501250
Saipan MP 96950-1250

Northern Mariana Islands Alternate Contact:

Juan A Sablan Memorial Bldg.
Capital Hill
Caller Box 10007, Saipan, MP 96950
Phone: 670-234-5498


Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs
Golden Rock Shopping Center,
3000 Estate Golden Rock, Suite 9, St. Croix, VI 00820
Phone: 340-713-2754

Licensure Information

Institutions providing distance education are required to identify programs that lead to licensure or certification and provide information about requirements. Requirements can vary by profession and state. Students are encouraged to research licensure requirements in their state of residence to ensure that the program will meet the requirements of their state's licensing agency. Contact information may be available through the on the NC-SARA website.

Additional information and resources can also be found on the web pages below: